The School of Journalism and Communication, Renmin University of China launched the Global Journalism and Communication Master's Program on Belt Road Initiative (BRJC) in 2017. The program was officially launched in March 2018. BRJC, a two-year professional Master's program taught in English, aims at training communication talents with international perspectives, multimedia reporting and storytelling proficiency, and dedication to promoting mutual understanding between different cultures and countries.
The program's curriculum consists of a variety of intermediate and advanced-level communication and journalism courses, including media history and theories development, media industry, practical skills and research methods. Additionally, the program offers Chinese language training and courses on Chinese politics, economy, society and culture.
In the first year, students focus on coursework, reporting practice and media internship. In the second year, students can choose to work on either Master's theses on practical topics or portfolios. Students in the program work closely with advisors and other faculty members. All the multimedia production facilities and studios at the school are available to students on appointment basis.
Core Courses with Credits and Semesters
Students are required to complete at least 30 coursework credits to fulfill the graduation requirements and theses or portfolios to obtain the degree. Students are required to take 7-credits public courses, at least 17-credits professional courses, 6-credits elective courses.
About the School of Journalism and Communication, RUC
Over the past 60 years, the School of Journalism and Communication at Renmin University of China, known as the ‘cradle' of the country's journalists and communication professionals, has graduated more than 10,000 students. The school currently has about 1200 students in its BA, MA and PhD programs. The number of international students continues to grow.
The school has established a tight bond with prominent universities in the US, Canada, Russia, Britain, Germany, Japan, South Korea, Singapore, etc. The school offers courses in English at the BA, MA and PhD levels and promotes overseas studying for both undergraduate and graduate students.
Application and Admission
Foreign citizens who do not hold Chinese passports must demonstrate to be good natured individuals who have the necessary degrees and language capabilities. In principle the applicant must not be more than 35 years old of age, and must hold a degree that is equivalent to a bachelor's degree from an accredited Chinese university. Interested in Chinese politics, economy, culture and society and promoting mutual understanding between cultures.
Applicants should be subject to the additional regulations of Renmin University of China (RUC) based on Letter No.12  of the Ministry of Education of the People's Republic of China. Please see the detail requirement via International Students Office Enrollment Guide (http://iso.ruc.edu.cn/displaynews.php?id=2182 )
November 15th, 2021- April 30th, 2022
Please note: International Students Office (ISO) of RUC will review the application materials during the application period. Applicants who do not pass the online preliminary review shall resubmit the application materials before the deadline. No application will be accepted after the deadline.
·Tuition (per academic year)
Global Journalism and Communication Master's Program on Belt Road Initiative is a two-year program, and the annual tuition fee is CNY 20,000.
1. Online Application
Applicants must log in to the International Students Application System of Renmin University of China (http://international.ruc.edu.cn/application) within the application time, fill in the application information authentically, upload the application materials and pay the application fee online in the system.
After the payment of the application fee, the system will automatically generate the Application Form for International Students of Renmin University of China. Applicants should print the application form and sign it.
① the electronic photos submitted for online registration must be:
-Taken recently to reflect your current appearance
-Two inches of size
-Taken in front of a plain white background
-Taken in full-face view directly facing the camera
-With a neutral facial expression and both eyes open
-Taken in clothing that you normally wear on a daily basis
-Uniforms should not be worn in your photo, except religious clothing that is worn daily.
Do not wear a hat or head covering that obscures the hair or hairline, unless worn -daily for a religious purpose. Your full face must be visible, and the head covering must not cast any shadows on your face.
② the registration information must be verified before submitting. Once submitted, it cannot be modified.
③ Be sure to save the username and password used in online registration (you will need it later).
2. Submission of paper application materials
After the online application, RUC will review the applicants' information and materials. Applicants who pass the online preliminary review should mail the hard copies of the application materials to the International Students Office of RUC through EMS or SF-Express within one week after passing the online preliminary review.
International Student Application Form of Renmin University of China
The application form will be generated automatically after the online registration is completed. Print the application form and sign at the bottom of the form. The application form should be printed clearly. It is forbidden to daub, sketch or damage the application form.
- Application Materials (hard copies)
1. Application Form for International Students of Renmin University of China
The form should be printed clearly on one piece of A4 paper. Smeared, doodled or damaged forms are not acceptable. Applicants must sign the form.
2. Final Education Certificate
1) Applicants who have graduated should submit the copy of final education certificate, with the original copy of the notarization of the final education certificate or the original copy of verification of the final education certificate by the Ministry of Education of China, the Ministry of Education of the applicant's country, the applicant's embassy in China, Chinese embassy in the applicant's country or other institutions entrusted by the Ministries and Embassies mentioned above.
2) If the applicant is currently a student at school, please submit the original or notarized copy of the certificate of expected graduation issued by his or her current university. The original diploma and graduation certificate must be provided to the university for re-examination. Those who fail to pass the re-examination will not be admitted for registration. If the applicant cannot provide the related final education certificate according to the item 1) above within the first two weeks after registration in September, the enrollment will be turned down.
3. Transcript (original or notarized)
The transcript must include all the courses of the final education period. If the full score of the course is not 100, please provide the guide to transcript.
4. Copies of the first page and visa page of the passport
The applicant must hold an ordinary passport. Other types of passport or ID documents are not allowed for application. The validity of the passport must be later than March 31st, 2023. Otherwise, please change the passport in advance. Applicants must apply for registration and study in China with ordinary passports. The copy of the visa page refers to the copy of the visa page held in China (if any). Please do not change the passport after the online preliminary review.
5. Two Recommendation Letters
Two recommendation letters are required, from two professors or associate professors written in Chinese or English using the letterhead with the university's name at the top.
The recommendation letters must contain the signature of the recommender. Applicants who have left the University for a long time and cannot get in touch with the university may submit a recommendation letter issued by the leader in charge of the applicant's work unit using the letterhead paper of the recommender.
6. Personal Statement
The personal statement provides an opportunity for you to present yourself. The content should include personal study and work experience, academic research achievements, research plans, career planning after graduation, etc., written in English.
7. Foreigner Physical Examination Form
The original document. The template of Foreigner Physical Examination Form can be downloaded on the website of International Students Office. The applicant should go to the local regular hospital for physical examination in strict accordance with the items specified in the Foreigner Physical Examination Form. A physical examination form missing items, photo, cross-page seal, signature of the doctor and the seal of the hospital is considered invalid.
8. English Proficiency Certificate
The total score of IELTS must be 6.0 or above, and TOEFL score must be 90 or above. Other English proficiency certificates are not accepted. Applicants who have obtained an English-taught degree or who are native English speakers (including those of Chinese descent born in foreign countries) are not required to submit English proficiency certificate.
9. Proof of Economic Capability (choose one of the following).
1) Bank deposit certificate of the applicant (time deposit of no less than RMB 30,000 and the maturity date should be after October 2022).
2) the guarantor's employment certificate (annual income specified) or bank deposit certificate (the employment certificate must be issued on the company's letterhead paper or time deposit of no less than RMB 30,000 and the maturity date should be after October 2022).
10. Letter of Guarantee
The template of the Letter of Guarantee can be downloaded from the website of the International Students Office. The Letter of Guarantee should be signed by the applicant's relative or the economic guarantor.
11. Certificate of No Criminal Record (original or notarized copy)
1) Applicants who are currently not in Chinese mainland should offer the certificate issued by the local public security department.
2) Applicants who are currently in Chinese mainland should offer the certificate issued by entry and exit administration departments of China.
12. Nationality Proof
Please see the detail requirement via International Students Office Enrollment Guide ( http://iso.ruc.edu.cn/displaynews.php?id=2182 )
13. Copies of published academic papers, awards or other research results may be attached if necessary.
The published academic papers shall be attached with a retrieval certificate, certificate of publication or other relevant publication proof materials.
Matters needing attention:
* All application materials shall be in Chinese / English, and notarized Chinese / English translation shall be provided for texts not in Chinese / English. Documents in other languages are not accepted. If the published academic paper is too long to provide translation, Chinese / English research certificate, employment certificate or other relevant publication proof materials shall be provided, and the original paper shall be attached;
* If the submitted materials are notarized copies, they shall be the original notarized copies. Copies of notarizations are not accepted;
* All application materials will not be returned once submitted;
* Renmin University of China reserves the right to require the applicant to submit relevant supporting materials.
-Review and Enrollment Procedure
Applicants can apply for 2 programs at the same time. The International Students Office (ISO) will review the application materials. After the preliminary review, ISO will send the application materials to the first program that the applicant applies for. The program will review the application materials again and notify the qualified applicants of participating a test or an interview.
If the applicant's materials do not pass the review of the first program, or the applicant fails to pass the test or interview of the first program, his or her application materials will go through the same procedure to the second program.
If the applicant fails to pass the review / test / interview of both the programs, the application procedure will automatically end and the applicant cannot be admitted.
After reviewing application materials and organizing the test / interview, the program will form a proposed admission list based on the applicant's overall performance and research capacity. The proposed admission list will be submitted to the Admission Office of the Graduate School along with the record sheet of the interview and all the application materials. The Admission Committee of Renmin University will deliberate and finalize the admission list, after which the International Students Office will issue the admission results and send the admission notices. The admission notice is scheduled to be issued in July, 2022.
The application fee is RMB 800 (non-refundable). Please pay the application fee through the online payment in the system.
1. Chinese Government Scholarship Type A: Bilateral Program
The applicant should first apply to the dispatching authorities for overseas study of your home country, such as Chinese embassies and consulates abroad or other organizations. The dispatching authorities will send the application information to the university to decide whether the application can be approved.
2. Chinese Government Scholarship Type B: Chinese University Program
The applicant should apply for this scholarship to the university when applying for the master program. After receiving and reviewing the application, the university will submit relevant materials to the Chinese Scholarship Council. The final list will be issued by the Chinese Scholarship Council.
For more information, please refer to the website: http://www.campuschina.org/
Your application to the program does NOT constitute an automatic application for the CGS, and our program administration and admissions team is NOT involved in any award decisions for this scholarship. Your success depends on the competitiveness of your application, which you directly submit to the according authorities.
Should you want to apply for the CGS, please submit your according application directly to the China Scholarship Council branch responsible for your home country (this is usually the Chinese embassy). Please also note, that Chinese embassies in different countries may set slightly different application deadlines for this scholarship, so please contact the according authorities well ahead of time.
Once you applied for the CGS, please include your CGS application information in your application package, which you submit to us when you apply for admission to the program: Let us know that you applied for this scholarship, and also let us know if you have already received your scholarship award letter.
You may refer to this outline to get an idea of the CGS application process, and visit csc.edu.cn for more details on how and where to submit your scholarship application.
1. Contact information of international Student Office
If you have any questions about application materials, scholarship information, registration fee, etc., please consult the International Student Office.
Telephone: 010-62512698 Fax: 010-62515343
Address: International Student Office, Room 108, International Cultural Exchange Center, Renmin University of China, No. 59 zhongguancun Street, Haidian District, Beijing
E-mail: email@example.com firstname.lastname@example.org
International Students Office of Renmin University of China homepage http://iso.ruc.edu.cn
2. Contact information of School of Journalism and Communication
If the applicant has any questions about the project, can send an email to inquire.