Your current position: Q & A >Master`s program

Q: How can I apply for the master’s program in Renmin University of China?

A: The Graduate School of Renmin University of China will not hold the entrance examination. Each school will set up interview and/or paper test accordingly. In the first round, each school will review the documents and notice the applicants to take the interview. Each school will then forward the results to the Graduate School for the second-round review. The interview will test the applicant’s Chinese language proficiency, the research ability in related major fields and the comprehensive ability.

Q: How can I get the admission notice?

A: Students who apply the Chinese Government Scholarship or Confucius Institute Scholarship should submit all the documents to China Scholarship Council or the Headquarter of Confucius Institute. The documents will be screened and reviewed by those two organizations first and then forwarded to our university. After our university got the documents, the committee of Graduate School will then review the documents and submit the admission results to China Scholarship Council or the Headquarter of Confucius Institute. The admission package will be sent back to the China Scholarship Council or the Headquarter of Confucius Institute. You will receive the admission package from those two organizations.

Students who apply directly with our university should submit the documents to our university directly (including those who apply China University Program (Chinese Government Scholarship). Students should submit the application fees as well. International Students Office will issue the admission package accordingly.

Q: What scholarships are available to the new master’s students? How can I apply?

A: Chinese government scholarship—bilateral program: students can apply this scholarship through the local Chinese embassy in your own country. For detailed information, please visit:

Chinese government scholarship --Chinese University program: students can apply directly with Renmin University of China.

Confucius China Studies Program: The Headquarter of Confucius Institute will make the first-round screening and the final decision based on the student’s application and interview.

Beijing Municipal Government Scholarship: Students can submit the application documents and scholarship application at the same time. All the documents should be submitted the documents to the related schools. The form can be downloaded at: (download)

Q: What is the requirement for Chinese language skill?

A: Students’ Chinese proficiency must meet the minimum requirement. If students submit the HSK certificate of level 6, the Chinese written test is exempted. If you cannot provide the HSK certificate, you must take the Chinese proficiency test.

Q: What application documents should I submit?

A: The documents are:

①The Application Form for Graduate Studies at Renmin University of China;

②The photocopy of highest degree earned. The original transcript;

③Two recommendation letters from professors (Ph.d program applicant)

Two recommendation letters from professors/associate professors (master’s program applicant)

④Two ID pictures

⑤The photocopy of passport (first page)

⑥The published articles, books, and other research papers (optional)

⑦Personal statement or research plan (no less than 1000 words for master’s program applicant, and 1500 words for Ph.d program applicant). The statement should include your education background and experience, research plan, career plan, etc )

Q: When should I take the written test, the interview, etc?

A: All the test and interview will be arranged by individual school. You can contact the schools directly.

Q: How can I apply the Chinese University Program to get the scholarship?

A: Students should submit the program application documents AND the scholarship application form to International Students Office at the meantime.

Students should

① Go to or, and click the icon “Application Online for International Students” to enter the system.

②First-time users should register before entering the online application page.

Other supporting documents include:

Generally, applicants must fill in and provide the following documents truly, correctly and completely (in duplicate).

①Application Form for Chinese Government Scholarship (in Chinese or English);

②Notarized highest degree;

③Academic transcripts;

④A study plan or research proposal;

⑤Two recommendation letters;

⑥Applicants for music studies are requested to submit a CD of the applicants’ own works. Applicants for the fine arts programs must submit a CD of the applicants’ own works (including two sketches, two color paintings and two other works)

⑦Applicants under the age of 18 should submit the valid documents of their legal guardians in China.

⑧Applicants planning to stay in China for more than 6 months must submit a photocopy of Foreigner Physical Examination Form (valid for 6 months).

⑨Applicants with valid HSK Certificate should enclose the photocopy of it in the application package.

The above documents should be bound on top left corner (in duplicate) in order. Two copies are required. No application documents will be returned.

Q: What if I’m in my last year of my master’s program, can I still apply for the Ph.d program?

A: Yes, you can still apply. You can submit the pre-graduation certificate. Once you are admitted, you should submit the graduation certificate and degree certificate. If you fail to submit, your admission will be canceled.